Friday 5 March 2021

Log4OM

Last November I decided to give Log4OM another try as I was frustrated by Ham Radio Deluxe's inability to handle 13cm band frequencies. It's due to a limitation of the software's architecture to accept 64 bit integers and a frequency such as 2400.220.000 will default to 2147.483.647. I contacted HRD and they are aware of the issue and plan to address this in a future release. They didn't say when but at least it will be addressed.

In the meantime I've been using the excellent and free Log4OM. I dabbled with it previously but always came back to HRD as it was the first logging software I used and was pretty comfortable with it.

The latest version of Log4OM, version 2, is the first major revamp and update of the program and is a very capable piece of software fulfilling the needs of most demanding operators today. Like most logging applications around it does have its quirks and configuring it for the first time can be a little daunting. It does have some annoying features for me, such as the inability to enter a QTH on the main QSO window. It will take the QTH as entered by the operator exactly as they entered it on their QRZ.com page which can include postcodes, CAPS LOCK names and sometimes just plain wrong info!

I've also found that saving the QSO frequency in kHz instead of MHz is preventing me from seeing the correct total number of 13cm band QSO's that I've made via QO-100 in Clublog. I've worked 70 DXCC but Clublog shows only 6! I think Clublog requires the frequency in MHz to show 'worked' entities and this has always worked fine with HRD.

I need to look at this further, maybe try and work a country on a new band and see if that is saved correctly in Clublog but for the most part Log4OM works just fine as a logging tool, best thing of all, it's free..!

No comments:

Post a Comment